Tuesday, October 13, 2009

St. Peters Basilica with a Wiggly 3 year old

I forgot to add is that our day started out with Alina showing up at 8 am at the apartment. She apparently rang the bell but since we were asleep, I startled her, and myself when I turned the corner because I heard a key in the lock. I yelped, she was on the stairs. She was returning our 430 dollar security deposit, saying she won't be seeing us when we leave. She didn't even inspect the apartment, so I guess we are OK. I think we scared the *** out of each other. So with that awakening, I was up for the morning.


Today we walked over to St. Peters Basilica di Pietro, over the Ponte San Angelo Bridge, with the angels overlooking the Tiber River. We step out of our apartment walk a few short blocks, go over the bridge to Castel San Angelo then turn left and walk down the Via Della Conciliazone --heading right into St. Peters Square. We knew we couldn't bring a stroller into St. Peters so we walked or carried Gracie. She really likes St. Peters square -- it's filled with pigeons which she likes to chase. So, St. Peters -- Impressive is an understatement. It is beyond amazing and huge, the statues of St. Peters, A Pope preserved under glass, and of course the Pieta by Michaelangleo. We could've spent the whole day there. Gracie was very wiggly and wanted a lollipop, so we stayed as long as we could. (We also ran into the couple from Canada we chatted with in the cafe near the colesseum yesterday when we fled the rain). When we left, we saw Swiss Guard, who try to stand at attention, but spend most of their time answering questions from tourists and telling them they cannot pose for pictures with them.

After a stop at the Vatican gift shop, and a few souveiner shops for that long awaited lollipop - where we also scored apple juice "Mela suca", we (ahem, I was) were determined to go to one of the restuarants I had "mapped" for lunch. So we headed to Piazza Navona to Cul De Sac. (We tried getting there the other day, too crowded). It was after 3pm, and worried they were not serving, but they sat us down anyway, and we had olives, cheese, Broccoli and Pasta with Pecorini cheese, Rolladi (Braciole), "Meatballs" with mashed potatoes. The "meatballs" were patties, not round. Delicious! David had his new favorite beer, "Nasturo Azzuro", and I had a Pinot Gris. A wonderful meal, the "best so far" in Rome. (Cul De Sac is one of those places that get rave reviews in Rome). Gracie had great time leaning over into the street and feeding Piegons. Anyway, we headed back, and found ourselves in a Di Per Di, very close to our apartment. (We had been going to the Di Per Di, across the busy street) this was even closer, and bigger. They have Cherrios! As we were shopping for milk, salami, water, and Nasturo Azzuro, a young priest said Hello ya'all. I said, OK, with that accent - where are YOU from. (Thinking this would be the 5th person from Oklahoma we met here, but no, the young Deacon (not priest- yet) is from Tyler, Texas and his 4th year of seminary here in Rome. He is a Deacon now, and will soon be a priest. He looks like he could be say, 22 years old, at the most. So we chatted a long time, and he walked with us back toward our apartment, and we were very very close to the the apartment (We had been turning the opposite way all this time, missing this section of the neighborhood). As Matthew said, its way easy to get lost around here, so you sort of stick to the roads you know -- you may never get out. So its taken us around 5 days, but were are beginning to figure things out.

At home, we collapsed, ate more cookies, ate more cheese, took a nap, Gracie watched her cartoons (switching now to Disney in English), and is now having graham crackers and milk. She has lined up all the fruit, 2 tangerines, 2 pears, 2 apples and one banana and is counting them over and over. After we rest from all this eating, we might take an evening stroll over to St. Peters and San Angelo Bridge, check out the view at night. I don't think we'll go out to eat again today, but there's always gelato. (By the way, we have been carrying Gracie through all the streets of Rome and burning off lots of calories -- so we don't think we'll gain too much weight on this trip. UPDATE: Nah, we stayed in tonight, skipped Gelato and working munching down all the groceries we've been buying. Gracie loves this cartoon in Italian called La familia Barrabara or something like that. She sings the theme song. We watched "Dora" in Italian (who teaches English, not Spanish, in the Italian version), so I learned Ponte was bridge and Barca was boat today. Tomorrow: Catacombes di Priscilla (cab ride) and Trevi Fountain, which Matthew says "Don't Miss", then dinner with Matthew. That's the plan at least.