Sunday, November 4, 2007
Nov. 4: The Bank of China
I just came back from The Bank of China. It's right next to the hotel which so I was surprised not to see English on any of the signs when I stepped in. There were five counters, each with a teller, with another person standing behind each of the tellers. Everyone looked very official in blue suits and ties. There was about 10 people sitting in chairs I sort of stood there for a while then a customer aindicated for me to take a number and pressed a button on a kisok for me, so I could get a number. Then I waited for about 40 minutes. The teller spoke English and I turned over my passport and my Amex travelers checks and dollars. Never did I see such a flurry of stamping, carbon copies and counting and countersigning. It took at least 20 minutes. We turned over $390 and that should do us for the trip unless we start doing some serious shopping. Next time, I'll exchange my money at the hotel.
Gracie had her visa photo taken this morning then a medical exam in the G-town Shamin Island Adoption Medical center. Just basic stuff, like weight and height and a quick look at her nose, ears and heart. The locals go there too and there is a special section for adoptions - and there were about 20 families there. She screamed her lungs off the entire time and then was fine the instant we came out. She weighs just over 17 lbs. We then went shopping and failed miserably as I think I am so bad at bargaining that I just given up, and David has taken over in that department, but I think we are set in Gracie's clothes now.
Anyway, we are headed off to lunch - Gracie is having her Cherrios mixed in with her rice cereal before we head back to Lucy's. Yesterday, she got some pink squeaky shoes and loves jumping up and down on them, holding on to the wall, or the edge of the couch. My job now is Fun Police, as David and Gracie just love to play and imitate each other, making funny snarfing sounds at each other, and I get to step in for no so fun things like diaper changes and sleep time. For Gracie, she enjoys her bottle and rice cereal, but she is determined to eat her food by herself and so we basically cut up pieces for her and she feeds herself, although some times she lets me pop in food. Her favorite continues to be watermelon and eggs, and at the glorious buffet this morning she had some banana bread as well.
Also, for some reason, blogger is now completely accesible - we can even read the comments and we no longer have to go through anonymouse to see the blog. We are spending the rest of the day hanging out in our room, Gracie is learning to walk, and may even send out for Pizza tonight. Upon our arrival to the hotel the other day, Rui passed out flyers and advised us that the folks at Pappa John's delivers AND speak English.
We did start the day with a skype/video session with mom and dad and Frankie and Chrissy. Technology is a wonderful thing.
More on the White Swan: We have our own hall monitor who stands in the foyer and runs to press the elevator button for you as you open your door to the room.
The photo is from the Chen Family temple from yesterday. Apologies for the have the strange black spot that is now showing up on our photos - we thought it was dust or something from Nanchang but it is still there...
