Thursday, October 25, 2007
Won Ton Soup Heals Marie!
So, we arrived at the hotel, and the plan was to sleep for up to 2 hours then get up and about. At 4pm, Four hours later, I woke up, jumped out of bed (I'm excited, you see, to be in China, want to look outside). My right leg collapes under neath and my arm is numb. Few minutes later, I wake up David because now I'm getting nauseous and my hands are now tingling, I'm thinking I'm stroking out. David is wondering if he should call 9-1-1 but we can't even figure out how to call the front desk. We call our lovely guide Rui who is reassuring and tells us she will come asap, she was at the airport picking up another couple... but I'm still scared out of my wits. After pacing up and down and breaking into the 35Yuen bottle of water, I'm feeling a bit better but very weak, especially on my right. Rui arrives and thinks it is the jet lag and suggests a good bowl of hot noodles and to air out our room. And now that I think of it, I crash out on the bed lying on my right and probably didn't move. So we go downstairs, run into the Stephanie and Jubal from Oklahoma, enjoy some green tea, get some good reassurance from them and then headed over to the noodle shop for hot won ton soup with nice salty broth and even more water. So I'm feeling 100% better; it is about 7:30 pm now. I think I scared David out of his wits--and are both happy that I'm not in the hospital....Okay now I'm(David) taking over this section. Yes I was scared, here we are in a totally foreign country, our first few hours here and I can't even figure out what to do for Marie. It's difficult not knowing what to do when someone you love is in pain and you don't know whether it's serious or not. I felt pretty useless at first but after finding Rui's phone number I felt better. I kind of thought it was jet lag and she needed to eat and rest so that's what we did after Rui reassured us. It was great meeting other people from the states and even better, they're from God's Country...OKLAHOMA!! So Marie and I had tea and coffee and then ate and of course I had a beer, Tsing-Tao, it was all delicious. Okay I think I'm going to sign off now, it's a great adventure so far and I can't wait to go out into the city of Beijing tomorrow to explore. We'll try posting some pictures a little later, right now I'm going to watch some Chinese TV.